During my childhood
technology as I knew it was stable. We had a black and white TV, rotary
telephone phone, and a record player. It stayed like that for what seemed like
forever (in childhood memory years that is).
My
parents got their first television the year I was born. It was a huge black and
white with limited channels. It was a staple in our lives. I loved
watching the old movies and daytime soaps when I was sick, and I never missed
an episode of Little House on the Prairie at night. The “Wonderful World of
Disney” on Sundays night became an anticipated family weekly event and fond
memory. From the start, my parents limited our access; “No television before
homework is done.” was the nightly battle cry.
The one phone, in our
house was hung on the wall in the kitchen next to the basement door. The whole
family knew who called you and how long you talked. Getting calling/talk time
became a competitive enterprise when four of us reach the teenage years close
behind each other. We would drag the phone cord to its full length and head
down the basement steps and close the door behind us for privacy. When anyone
thought you had talked too long they’d bang on the door. My father had a more
subtle approach. He would simply pull down the receiver and hang up the call.
We listened to music on
a large, cumbersome record player that always stayed in one spot. From
my earliest memory, my parents who were a big band music buffs, had stacks off
records. As we became teenagers, we started our own collection of singles and
albums of our favorite bands.
But it all changed
rapidly. I am pretty sure it started when we replaced the black and white with
a color TV. We thought we had arrived. How could we have imaged the huge, flat
screen TV that now hangs on the wall occupying less space than that old black
and white TV. I’m still wondering how it could have speed up and changed
so rapidly in such a short time. As one thing leads to another, there is no
sign of stopping.
By the time I was in my
20’s, I was working at my first job using a computer on a daily basis. In my
30’s I was monitoring my infants on a baby monitor, taking pictures of them
with a camcorder, and using a cordless phone and had purchased our
first home computer. The record player had been replaced with boom boxes and
CD’s. So it has continued until present and every member of the
family has a cell phone, personal computer, digital camera, and iPod. They
would not dream of being without anyone of their devices or unhooking for any
length of time.
In spite of all these
devices, I do not at all feel technologically literate. I marvel at my own children
who have grown up with this technology and use it more freely and skillfully in
their lives. I feel as though I am in a continued state of replacing devices
and relearning how to use new ones that have just enough difference to created
frustration. At times, I can’t help feeling a bit saturated. Yet, I recognize
how much technology has made some aspects of my life easier. I also think that
it can have great value in education if used wisely. So I keep on trying and
getting a little, more savvy with each new technology I take on. I expect that
in the future, the more practical, easy to learn and useful a technology is
will determine how I will deal with this constant change.
I like how you mentioned that for a while technology moved slowly and than began to change rapidly. I really agree with this idea as well as the fact that we are forced to change and learn new devices often. Do you think that your children are more adapted to technology because they grew up when it was changing so quickly? They never really had a time that was more static, where they got used to the status quo.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to dragging the phone as far as it will go to have some privacy on the phone! At my house, we had one of the longest phone cords I'd ever seen (where my parents got it, I don't know!) and I definitely tried to make it reach all the way up the stairs and into my bedroom. When someone needed the line, they would pick up the other phone we had in the house and just join in on my conversation. That was embarrassing enough to make me hang up pretty quickly... :)
ReplyDelete